At Glenroy West Primary School our commitment to Literacy includes:Reading
- A daily Reading Hour with whole class and small group teaching
- Reading Intervention as needed
- Independent Reading Time
- Subscription to the Reading Eggs site for every student
- Teaching of phonics (sounds) through the Little Learners Love Literacy program
- Individual conferences (learning discussions) with students on books they read
- Celebration of stories from different cultures
- A school library for the students to borrow books from
- Mini Libraries in every classroom
Log onto Reading Eggs to practise learning at home.
- A daily Writing Hour with whole class and small group teaching
- The publishing of work using Digital Technology
- Individual conferences (learning discussions) with students on their writing
- Writing Intervention as needed
Literacy encompasses the knowledge and skills students need to access, understand, analyse and evaluate information, make meaning, express thoughts and emotions, present ideas and opinions, interact with others and participate in activities at school and in their lives beyond school.
Success in any learning area depends on being able to use the significant, identifiable and distinctive literacy that is important for learning and representative of the content of that learning area.
Becoming literate is not simply about knowledge and skills. Certain behaviours and dispositions assist students to become effective learners who are confident and motivated to use their literacy skills broadly.
They include students managing their own learning to be self-sufficient; working harmoniously with others; being open to ideas, opinions and texts from and about diverse cultures; returning to tasks to improve and enhance their work; and being prepared to question the meanings and assumptions in texts.
This icon shows where Literacy has been identified in learning area content descriptions and elaborations.Tips for helping your child with Literacy at home.